BabyFruit Ticker

Thursday, March 28, 2013

17 Weeks

An onion? My baby is the size of an onion? Gross. What about a grapefruit? An onion varies in size depending on what kind of onion. Is it the size of a yellow onion? A red onion? Shallot? Nugget measures 5.1 inches (that is a HUGE onion!) and weighing 5.9 ounces.

The Nugget's cartilage is turning to bone (where it's supposed to), putting on some fat (at least I'm not the only one!) and the umbilical cord is growing stronger and thicker (the better to flush his/her waste back to me with).

Pregnancy Symptoms from TheBump.com
-Things leaking out of me...sweat, mucus, censored - Well I have had a super stuffy nose. I wake up in the morning unable to breath and/or with bloody noses.
-Itchy boobs and bump - I have forever been excited when my boobs itch because I learned in the locker room at Rectory School when I was 13 that itchy boobs means they're growing. So yeah! My bump isn't itching...but it's also not much of a bump. I have been moisturizing a lot so I'm sure that's helping. Side note - I tried to find a cocoa butter than did not have the litany of nasty stuff most lotions have and I was unsuccessful...probably because my local shopping options aren't very progressive. I need to locate a fancy lotion stat.
- Rapid Weight Gain - "You've probably gained 5 to 10 pounds by now" - By "now" do you mean a month ago? Then, yes! I have had rapid weight gain. I get weighed tonight people...if I gained more than 5 pounds more I'm losing it. I blame PART of my gain on JD...he encourages me to indulge in a cookie if I want one (and rightfully so, if he didn't I'd probably bite his head off)
- Weird Dreams - Ohhhhh nelly. Why yes, I have had the weirdest dreams. Last night I dreamed I was in Central America somewhere, alone, driving my sister's old Hyundai Santa Fe along a deserted, single lane dirt road. There were Man birds everywhere! (These are Australian birds, formally known as Cassowarys)





 They weren't afraid of the car so I had to keep honking. I came to a chain link gate. I drove through and all of a sudden I was walking through a field. I came to another gate, decided it was getting dark and I should head back. All of a sudden, I'm riding a bike. I'm about 50 yards from the gate (and hopefully my car) when I look down and there is a LION trotting next to me, growling. (Now I'm not sure if you are familiar with lion, but they live in Africa, not Central America (Although I wouldn't put it past Central America to have wandering lions)). Needless to say, I wake up. Roll over and wake up JD. I don't go back to sleep for the rest of the night.

Overall Week 17 symptoms are not bad at all.

We had a Dr. visit this evening. While I appreciate that the office is open late one night a week to accommodate us working folk, I am always waiting at least 30 minutes before I get taken in by the nurse, and I can finally pee! I digress...tonight we heard the heart beat again! It was amazing. The little nugget was swimming all over the place. The nurse had to keep moving the stick (no idea what it's actually called) to find him/her. It also kept getting quiet and then loud...so funny.
I lost 3 pounds. Relieved and then concerned...no one loses weight when they're pregnant. But I've been assured its perfectly fine. "The baby takes what it needs". Ok Doc. Does this mean I can start eating french fries again??
P-O-T-A-T-O!
Actually, the reason I probably lost weight was because I didn't eat in the dining hall at work for 2 weeks because it was closed...it's like an all you can eat buffet...and I eat all I can eat.

What started off as a craving, might just kill me. I managed to only eat half of one roll today...so far. Sweet Tarts...NOT to be confused with Sweethearts (those are nasty), are my new thing. Sure they might give me gestational diabetes but they are so good! Crossing my fingers they finally listened and got rid of the yellow flavor because I haven't found one yet. In all seriousness I should probably stop eating them...I just read the ingredients:
-Dextrose
-Maltodextrin
-Malic Acid
- And lots and lots of color dyes

My wonderful hubby is busy cooking a delicious, healthy dinner for us. Chicken, rice and kale. I loovveee kale. I made a bomb-ass pasta dish last night that featured kale...so I have at least one of my mother's amazing talents.

Enjoy this bump photo.


And this...
He had no idea the Dorito was stuck to him...amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for including this uber flattering picture of me. And yes, everyone should eat Doritos while they're cooking.

    Luckily you cannot see the vast Serengeti-like plains of cat hair that stick to this fleece as well. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saved your life. That Dorito was just waiting for the perfect opportunity to take advantage of you. I caught him in the act. He will never bother you again. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete